Title: Religious Education Coordinator
Purpose and Scope
To support St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish in its mission of catechetical ministries
and sacramental preparation for elementary school age children. Under the direction of the Pastor*,
the Religious Education Coordinator will be responsible for Catholic Christian formation,
sacramental preparation and Children’s Liturgy for children in Grades K-5, and will work in
collaboration with the parish staff and directly with parents,
catechists, aides and other volunteers.
Essential Job Functions
* Coordinates the Catholic Christian Formation Program for grades K-5 and the adaptive
curriculum for children with special needs.
* Supervises the volunteer coordinator for Children’s Liturgy program and serves
as a resource as needed.
* Coordinates the summer Vacation Bible School program, as applicable.
* Works with staff in providing a safe environment for all, including coordinating with the
SET Coordinator to secure background checks and SET training for all volunteers working with
* Conduct recruitment, initial training and ongoing formation of members of the religious
* Consult Pastor* in reviewing materials and designing programs. Provides resources upon
* Educate and inform the parish leadership as well as the parish community concerning
religious education and the primary role the community plays in that process.
* Prepare and manage the Religious Education budget.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
* Previous experience leading a catechetical program.
* Proven ability to lead large groups for catechesis and maintain attention of children.
* Proven administrative skills including successful interpersonal relations, conflict
resolution, management and supervision, and budget preparation.
* Professionally communicates orally and in writing.
* Highly Organized.
* Ability to work independently.
* Full computer literacy with knowledge of/or willingness to learn Parish Data
* Experience in leadership positions desirable but not required.
* Experience in education desirable but not required.
* Experience in ecclesial/ministerial visioning and planning, including familiarity with
Church structures and systems.
* Ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Strong organizational skills including goal setting and prioritization.
* A high degree of credibility, integrity, and self-confidence is essential.
* Active, practicing Roman Catholic who is in full communion with the Church.
* High School diploma
* Basic Catechist certification or equivalent.
* Able to articulate a clear understanding of the Catholic faith and to serve as a committed
witness to its mission.
* Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as electronic and social media
platforms. The ability to learn proprietary and web-based software including databases and online
* Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
* Ability to exercise prudent and independent judgment, and maintain efficient, confidential
procedures in handling Parish matters.